13 October 2012

Supernatural Review - Ep 8.02 What's Up, Tiger Mommy?



This is the first Super-Arrow-Wednesday. I don't know about you but my week has been awesome!

Episode 8.02 What's Up, Tiger Mommy? was directed by John Showalter and written by Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin. I feel like I walk on tightrope whenever I watch an episode penned by Dabb and Loflin. But this is probably the second time I enjoyed their episode without having a bad WTF moment. As for the director of this episode, you may know John Showalter who previously directed Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Clap Your Hands If You Believe, Mommy Dearest and Slash Fiction, just to name a few. I think I have not given enough shout out to John Showalter. I always liked his episodes a lot and this time is no exception. What's Up, Tiger Mommy? was a very solid episode.

Where do I begin? OK.. Let's start with Dean.


It is apparent to me that Dean Winchester is becoming Jack Bauer. For those who have watched 24, you know Jack Bauer has always been this guy who will do anything to get intel from bad guys including violence and torture. He never hesitates when it comes to his method. He doesn't like it, he doesn't enjoy it. It eats him, it changes him, but that's what he believes he needs to do in order to save people and the country. In 24, there are those who disagree with his interrogation methods, others prefer not to know so that Jack can get things moving and get the job done, save the country. Jack Bauer is selfless. He doesn't care about himself and what other thinks about him. The only time I had an issue with Jack killing people was when he killed Curtis. That killed him! That killed me too! Anyway...

To me, there is always a bit of Jack Bauer in Dean. Except Dean doesn't kill people, he kills monsters. And he doesn't need to explain it to anyone. Dean is the no BS guy. Even when a human is possessed by a demon, he is just gonna kill it. To Dean, that human is dead the moment he or she is possessed. There have been a few occasions where Dean questioned (or we questioned) his action/ decision or have a second thought about killing the meatsuit, like someone who is very close to him -- John, Bobby and Lisa, and Sam, who was possessed the first time in season two. But that aside, it's not just Dean, Sam too. Demons on the show all wear human meatsuits and we have seen the boys killing demons many times. They don't stop and think about "hummm, should I kill you? Coz you're a meatsuit and there is a demon in you…oh wait...let me call Dr Phil." They just do it! It is very black and white.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that Dean was so close in killing the 'Crowley-possessed-MrsTran'. I put this question to you: what would you have done if the big bad demon is possessing a human and you know the only way to kill it is to kill the human? For Kevin, he probably won't kill his mother and let Crowley get away. But Dean is very clear about his action and what he might have done. Dean is exceptionally cold on Mrs Tran's state of mind after what happened. Dean would've hated himself if he was to kill the possessed Mrs Tran, but to Dean it would just be 'another nightmare'. Other people will never understand this. What's interesting is that Kevin thinks the people Dean doesn't need end up dead. Ouch! Jus in Bello? For a genre show like Supernatural to touch on this kind of human drama is brilliant, kudos to the writing team. It's just layers within layers. If you still watch Supernatural and don't think this is 'as good as before', I don't think you fully understand how much the show has matured.

Dean is becoming more of the 'bigger picture' kinda guy. Will Dean's humanity slowly disappear and will be become a clone of Jack Bauer eventually? Do you think even Benny was slightly shocked when he killed the random monster in Purgatory after he interrogated him? Benny either admires that about Dean or he knows he better keep his nose clean or Dean Winchester will come after him. One thing for sure, monsters need to know they cannot mess with Dean Winchester, the human. 


In season one, Dean mentioned that the kind of things he would do for his family, scared him. He didn't hesitate, he didn't even flinch when he killed YED's son who was a human possessed by a demon, he was well aware that was a human. Since then, Dean has become obsessed with saving people, killing monsters. This is the only thing he is good at. This is his life. In WIAWSNB, he cried in front of John's grave and gave one of the best speeches on television, "Why is it my job to save these people? Why do I have to be some kind of hero?" Season eight so far is very apparent that Dean has totally accepted that hunting is his life. Even back in season seven, he still questions about his life as a hunter. We haven't seen much of Sam so far, we don't know what exactly he did during his gap year. And I hope it wasn't just flowers, picnic, a dog and a girl kinda thing. I mean, good for him, if that was it because Sam is entitled to have a break. Both Dean and Sam realise that hunting is their life. No matter how much they want to walk away, they cannot. So it will be interesting to see how Sam was dealing with his emotions and life during his gap year. And if you have seen the trailer, you'd know what Sam said to Dean about his life and hunting. Anyway, we will see more of Sam's stuff next week.
 


You know I can talk about Dean all my life.. but let's move on. Is it just me or is Mrs Tran so too cool for monster school? Like, if I see demon and monsters the first time in my life, I'd freak. But Mrs Tran is not a chicken shit. And she is one cool mama. I particular lover her chemistry with Kevin. They really look like mother and son. I think it was a great decision to change actress for Mrs Tran. Lauren Tom is awesome! It's funny because I was literally just watching an Amy Wong episode of Futurama. Yes, I never mentioned it before but I do watch Futurama, it's just not something I can find an angle to blog about. Anyway. Do you really think Kevin escaped with his mum? He's done it before, escaping. But I just have this feeling that someone took them.. like demons or angels.


What about Mr Crowley? He must be desperate because this is the first time he left his own meatsuit and possessed another human being. And his demon smoke is red! That was so cool and it's something we haven't seen before from Crowley. I am slightly surprised that Crowley didn't just storm into the supernatural auction house with an army and just grab Kevin and the tablet. He opted for the business manner and went all out on betting for the tablet with $3 billion, the moon, his soul, some islands and stuff. Do you think perhaps it is a way to get around the angels? Because if anything threatens a prophet, "the most fearsome wrath of heaven would rain down on that threat". May be that's why Crowley is being careful? But then again, I don't know, because after Dick Roman died, his demons just grabbed Kevin and left the building. Anyway, it was interesting to see Crowley's participation at the auction. He could've just taken Kevin and the tablet by force.

I thought the introduction of a new angel, Samandiriel (aka Alfie), was kinda cool. Not totally epic, but not forgetful either. Alfie is kinda adorable! He has this Napoleon Dynamite thing going on. This is a soft introduction to the angel storyarc for the season. We know they will be back later on. (Oh hello, Amanda Tapping!) But what's interesting to me is that we know there are angels who still believe in Castiel, who has too much heart. Aw.. that's so cute! And the angels know about the tablets and the prophet. So what are they waiting for? Are they taking on the wait-and-see approach? I guess we will find out later. Oh, and by the way, did you know Samandiriel is the angel of imagination? It is particularly hilarious for the writer to use Wiener Hut as Samandiriel's cover! Being Alfie is really imaginative!


This week's review cannot be completed without mentioning the stuff I enjoyed the most -- the Purgatory flashback. I love the flashback. I always love flashbacks in TV and movies. I love them, if they are done right. And I think Supernatural has got it! They always do epic flashbacks. I am glad that we get to see Purgatory, because we didn't get to see Hell in season four after Dean returned. I love the lighting, the setting and the whole design of it. It's so dirty! I love dirty Dean. Most importantly, it is revealed to us what happened to Cas, and why he left Dean. He left because there was a price on Cas' head, the Leviathans were after him. I am sure Cas will get out ok in the end, because he always does and because I saw the spoiler photos. My question is, do you think the angels really didn't know what happened to Cas? Let's assume they didn't. Now that they know what happened to Cas and they may find out he is still in Purgatory and plan to save him? I mean, how else can Cas escape Purgatory? If there is a tablet on demons, surely there is one on Purgatory. 

"Dean: Hey, we'll figure it out. Cas. Buddy. I need you. And if Leviathan want to take a shot at us.. Let 'em. We ganked those bitches once before, we could do it again.

Castiel: It's too dangerous


Dean: Let me bottom line it for you. I'm not leaving here without you. Understand?"
All I am saying is that: If this is not forgiveness, I don't know what is. I know there has been a bit of debate about whether Dean has forgiven Cas. Well. He did. And it was quiet emotional and heartwarming. I love that scene the MOST! I think it kills Dean not to have successfully saved his friend too, like he's let Cas down. But do not worry, Cas will return!!

I think Supernatural is off to a great start! After seven seasons, the team still manage to stay cool and creative. The show is still about the brothers, who are more mature than when they were in season one. The show itself has matured, and we have been seeing how Dean and Sam are evolving as human beings with all the crap happening around them and how important it is to have Dean reminding Sam about their family business and they are stronger as a family; and for Sam to remind Dean that he is still the big brother he admires and looked up to. Supernatural is still one of the best written shows on television.

Next week, 8.03 Heartache will focus on Sam's gap year and other regular monster stuff. The best thing is, of course, Jensen Ackles directed this episode. 

Episode 8.03 Heartache: JENSEN ACKLES DIRECTS — Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) investigate a string of unusual murders where the victims were all recipients of organs from the same donor. The killer is captured, but things become even more complicated when the brothers find their killer in a trance mumbling an ancient prayer. Jensen Ackles directed the episode written by Brad Buckner and Eugenie Ross-Leming.



2 comments:

  1. Great review Tiny. I never watched 24 but I totally get what you mean.

    I loved this episode. Really loved it.

    I thought the work in Purgatory was brilliant.

    I'm loving Dean's story and his new focus...even if it is a bit hard edged, it's nice to see him feeling jazzed about stuff and I love him being all badassed.

    I'm baffled by Sam and why he seems so detached. I'm figuring it's just because he doesn't want to be there and only is, at this point, out of loyalty to Dean, but I also figure there's more to it.

    It's been a ripper of a start to the season!

    Nice work as usual Tiny!
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! After all these years, I am still trying to figure Sam out. Sam will try to give a speech about retiring for good, but we all know that he won't retire as he is half the show!

    I much prefer this Dean than the Dean in season 7 because of the whole Jack Bauer thing. But he is not soulless. I think Dean has transitioned from being a soldier to a colonel.

    Loving season 8!!

    Thanks Amy,

    Tiny xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.